How to Prevent Basement Flooding and Water Damage
For most homeowners, basement flooding and water damage can be incredibly daunting. When water seeps into a home after a storm, a flood or a pipe leak, the average cost of repairs is $3,123.1 But, if you’re proactive and conduct regular maintenance, you can help prevent flooding and water damage to your home before it occurs.
According to Stephen Norsek, Senior Property Claims Supervisor at Amica, “It’s important to get in the habit of regular home inspections, whether on your own or with a professional, so that you can anticipate and prevent damage in the future.”2
Wondering where to start? To help, we’ve put together an interactive guide that explains how to prevent water damage throughout your home. Explore our guide, and remember, simple upgrades can go a long way in preventing costly water incidents. If you’re hesitant to inspect or remedy issues on your own, you can always consider contacting a licensed professional to help.
Norsek says, “Knowing how to shut off the water main to your home is one of the single-most important things you can do to mitigate water damage.” Even with proactive prevention the unexpected can happen. According to Norsek, “When it comes to water damage, time is of the essence to avoid mold growth.”2 Your insurance company usually can help you find a professional. Amica, for example, offers Contractor Connection, a service that provides contractor referrals to help mitigate and repair the damage.
- How Much Does It Cost To Repair & Cleanup Water Damage? Home Advisor, 2021.
- Interview with Stephen Norsek, Sr. Property Claims Supervisor at Amica.
- How to Prevent Water Damage to Your Home, The Spruce, 2020.
- All You Need to Know About Roof Inspections, Bob Vila, 2021.
- 7 Ways to Prevent Water Damage at Home, Good Housekeeping, 2020.
- The Purpose of a Drain Trap, The Spruce, 2019.
- How to Fix a Leaky Sink Trap, HomeTips, 2020.
- How to Protect Your Home From Water Damage, Insurance Information Institute, 2021.
Want to learn more about Amica home insurance? Call today for a free personalized consultation.833-513-3881 833-513-3882
Save up to 25% when you combine Amica auto, home and life insurance.*Get a Free Online Quote
Simplify home maintenance and keep your home in its best shape with the Home Check by Amica app.